Testing new list configuration

Dave Bucklin dave.bucklin at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 03:09:01 CDT 2018

On Wed, Sep 19, 2018 at 01:34:01AM -0500, Joe Nelson wrote:
> > Should work better now.
>
> Great, that message passed DMARC for begriffs.com. There are still some issues we may be able to improve for deliverability though:

> The biggest spam signal appears to be the way our MTA says HELO. Perhaps it's identifying by IP address rather than fully qualified domain name. For example, in postfix, the config has a "myhostname" configuration variable which should be set to lists.frostbyte.cc. By default the variable uses the hostname of the relay machine in question as it appears inside the OS. Either that or the PTR DNS record might look sketchy:
>
> $ dig -x 18.221.180.137
> 137.180.221.18.in-addr.arpa. 300 IN	PTR	ec2-18-221-180-137.us-east-2.compute.amazonaws.com.
>
> Should also be pointing at lists.frostbyte.cc
>
> (CC'ing you directly Dave, in case gmail is choosing to send the mailing list message to spam.)

I've updated the myhostname in the postfix main.cf. Now, when I telnet
to localhost on 25, it gives lists.frostbyte.cc as the hostname. I
assume this translates to the outgoing transcript as well.

The hostname of the machine hosting postfix is, indeed, that
'ec2...amazonaws.com' string. I can change it if that would help.