[Discuss] Do we want the discuss/announce split?

Joe Nelson joe at begriffs.com
Fri Sep 14 23:57:39 CDT 2018

I'm thinking about the "onboarding" process for new users and wondering whether it's wise to ask them to subscribe to two lists. What if we put all discussions, including announcements of upcoming meetings, into the discuss list?

Lists associated with software projects offer an announce list as a place to subscribe for lower list volume, for people who don't want to hear the developer chatter. In our case as a social club the discussion is itself the whole point, so I'm not sure why someone would want to subscribe to announce but not discuss.

Should I remove the announce list, or do you feel like it's better to keep it?